Don't let Diabetes kick you in your mouth - use your mouth to fight back, and speak up here!

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Where no man has gone before...

Well guess who had a colonoscopy and endoscopy this week? Uh, yep - that would be me. Talk about an invasion of your inner soul! Prep night (Monday) was horrific. I will spare you the details and just sum it up by saying I think I flushed away about 15 pounds of myself along with some corn I ate over 3 weeks. One thing I must confess - the sedative you get for the procedure is magnifico! My anesthesiologist is my new best friend. In fact, I kicked my oldest son out of my will just to make room for my anesthesiologist.

Now here's the good news - no colon cancer for this gal! And I don't have to suffer the indignity of this barbaric torture again for at least 5 years.

OK - now the bad news - the stomach lining had a 'hot spot' that had to be biopsied. Most likely just a pre-ulcer type thing. I should have the results back at the end of next week.

So stay tuned for further developments. Next on the agenda is this new procedure that involves swallowing a capsule that contains a camera that videos the inside of the small intestine. Anyone here ever see the movie 'Fantastic Voyage?'

3 comments:

~Gulnar Nathani~ said...

Hi Tina,
My parents in law have diabetes and I almost past out when I saw one of them checking their sugar level by inject a needle into one of their fingers and getting a drop of blood to measure. I never realized how tough it could be to live with diabetes. After reading your blog, I noticed that their is so much more than just that needle for a drop of blood. It must be intense! It has got to be hard keeping tract of every little thing you consume. Hats off to you and everyone else that has diabete!

TINA said...

Thanks Gulnar, for the support. I am a diabetic-slacker...but I am trying really hard to get back on the right track - especially now that I am seeing little complications and side effects of my diabetes. I have to test my blood about 8 times a day - so actually I've become numb to the finger pricking. Good thing I don't faint at the sight of blood! Take care and thanks so much for your comments.

TINA said...

The tests are over and results are finally in. I even swallowed that pillcam thingy and didn't complain too much about wearing a recording device around my waist all day. Talk about being wired! I am glad to report that I am in fairly good shape - but the hot spot found in my stomach is actually an infection called H Pylori - something very common in 3rd world countries. My doc says I might have had this since childhood. Anyway - a few rounds of antibiotics should clear it up, for now.