Don't let Diabetes kick you in your mouth - use your mouth to fight back, and speak up here!

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

How dog ownership can save your life - or...a shamless plug for Pet rescue.



This is by far the best piece of exercise equipment we own - our one year old Lhasa Apso, Jackson (he's the furry critter in the middle). We adopted Jackson on November 3, 2007, from the Atlanta Pet Rescue Organization. Or should I say, he adopted us. He's full of energy and loves to drag Mommie on really long walks through the neighborhood, making sure to stop at every tree, shrub, utility pole, mailbox and fire hydrant. Jackson has brought so much joy to my life, which in turn has been beneficial to my health. I'm so glad he chose us! By the way, if you're thinking about adding a new furry member to your family, the Burns family highly recommends you visit Atlanta Pet Rescue. Check out their web site - you just might find the pet of your dreams! http://www.atlantapetrescue.org

6 comments:

AQ said...

I think that is absolutely wonderful that you adopted a dog! I have two mutts that my family got from adoption agencies, and I think they're the greatest dogs in the world. Not to get all preachy, but adopting pets is really a great way to go, and I love hearing about other success stories relating to that, especially if it's helping the owners as well.

TINA said...

Jackson is pure puppy joy. He is only the 3rd dog I've ever had as an adult - and he's the 2nd dog I've adopted. I think it's the only way to go - pet adoption, that is.

Anonymous said...

I've read before that owning a pet is helpful to most people with physical ailments. Not only do they serve as a source of activity, but they are uplifting as well. I own a lovebird myself, and while she may try to bite me from time to time, I don't know what I'd do without her. I know I'd have less partially chewed books, but them's the breaks.

TINA said...

Travis, I was just commenting to my Dad today that I do believe Jackson is the best medicine for me. My stress levels are down somewhat, because I come home to this cute bundle of fur who is so very happy to see me (and at the same time needs to go for his walk), and I don't even think about work. I just get lost in being a little girl with a little dog, if only for a while. It doesn't matter if your pet is a dog, cat, bird, goldfish or 3 legged elephant, what matters is the bonding you enjoy with them.

I notice you say that you have a lovebird - not a pair???

Shafali said...

Hi Tina,

I read "A Dog's Tail" at the Southern Humorist and enjoyed it a lot:) We too have a dog, and though I've never tried to braid her tail into a French braid (It isn't possible - she doesn't have long, flowing hair in her tail) - but I've been bitten for some lesser crimes. I loved the YOUR DOG bit!

BTW, are you on Twitter? If you are, please let me know - I'd love to follow you. (I am a caricaturist who loves to read humor.)

Regards,
Shafali

Shafali said...

And yes, you are right:) Adopting a dog can really help you beat your Diabetes (Blood Pressure however is another matter;)

S