Don't let Diabetes kick you in your mouth - use your mouth to fight back, and speak up here!

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Stay out of my stash!

So yesterday my husband and I stop off to have a quick bite of lunch at one of our favorite local homegrown restaurants. I was ecstatic when I saw sugar-free coconut crème pie on the menu. Of course I had to order a piece – what Type 2 Diabetic in their right mind wouldn’t? Our waitress brings the dessert to our table with two spoons. I, being the considerate wife that I am, offered to share with my husband. But no, he refuses, as he doesn’t really care for coconut crème pie. However, three bites into my pie, and he picks up his spoon to take ‘just a bite of the pie crust.” Did he stop there? No! The plate was almost cleaned with the exception of one tiny morsel of a bite. Now, you and I both know that the last bite contains the most flavor and is the most revered bite of the pie, or any dessert for that matter. Well, I must have delayed just a micro second before scooping that last bite off my plate and into my mouth, because ‘Mr. I don’t like coconut crème pie’ beat me to it, and was chewing and grinning at the same time while I sat there catatonic in my own astonishment. This man could have had ANY sugar-laden dessert in the restaurant, but chose to deprive me of my last bite of sugar-free coconut crème pie. I was speechless. I was shocked. I was furious. And I was plotting his demise. This is NOT over.

Top 10 things you hear in a diabetic’s home: (well, at least THIS diabetic’s home)
10. Touch my sugar-free Hershey’s chocolate and die.
9. Touch my carb smart Breyer’s vanilla ice cream and die.
8. Touch my diet Pepsi with wild cherry and die.
7. Touch my leftover whole grain pasta from Macaroni Grille and die.
6. Touch my thin crust low carb Archer Farms pizza with Canadian ham and die.
5. Touch my carb smart Orville Redenbacher’s microwavable popcorn and die.
4. Touch my sugar-free raspberry Jell-O gelatin and die.
3. Touch my sugar-free Altoids cinnamon gum and die.
2. Touch my packets of Sweet N Low, Equal or Splenda and die.
And the #1 thing you will hear in this diabetic's home: Touch my last bite of homemade sugar-free coconut crème pie and die.

6 comments:

Lane said...

This is a great blog. I have a friend with diabetes. He is a about 10 years younger than me, so I have always taken a mother hen approach to how I deal with him in terms of food. I always ask questions like: "Are you feeling ok?, How is your blood sugar?, Do you need a snack?. I know that he is capable of taking care of himself but I have a soft spot in my heart for those who can't eat just anything. A lot of what you are saying I have heard before(but from a kind of macho guy) but your spin is creative and fun.
Lane

TINA said...

Thanks so much for your comments - you just keep on being a mother hen to your friend - believe it or not, he needs and appreciates it. When my husband catches me about to put something in my mouth that is loaded with sugar or carbs, he flashes this very disapproving look my way, and I drop the food. He sometimes smothers me by constantly telling me what to do - but I know that he is doing it because he loves me and wants me around for a while - crazy fella that he is!

Anonymous said...

I have to admit that I don't know anyone with diabetes, and I can't relate to a lot of the restrictions that a diabetic has to deal with. It's strange to see something like this discussed so intimately in the style of a blog, but it's also very informative, and you put the material into fun stories that all readers can relate to.

I really enjoy the content of your blog and your writing style is very engaging and humorous. I don't know much about diabetes, but I've learned a lot from reading your posts!

-Justin

TINA said...

Thanks for the positive comments - being diagnosed last year was quite a setback for me, and I still go into denial from time to time. But I figure if I can find the humor in it, that will make it easier to deal with - at least for now.

~Gulnar Nathani~ said...

No offense but this is really quite funny because this is what goes on in my in-Law's home. I didn't know that it was that serious with everyone who has diabetes. Great blog! It's very informative and you've added interesting aspects to it. I wish you and everbody else who has diabetes good luck through your journeys without sugar. It's got to be extremely difficult!

TINA said...

I take it one day at a time - the holidays are always the hardest because I grew up in a Southern home with lots of wonderful dishes that are now taboo for me. But, I can do a couple of bites of this and that, and I'm OK. Thanks for checking out my blog and for your comments. Oh, and Happy Turkey Day!